Getting some REST
Yes, you guessed right. REST as in “Representational state transfer”, not as in “rest on the beach” :)
During the first two Summer of Code weeks, I’ve been working on designing and implementing a RESTful API for the ownCloud Marble app. This API will be used by my colleague, Utku Aydın, who is working on the C++ side of the project (Marble library).
What I’ve learnt until now:
- PHP is remarkably flexible
- PHP is remarkably inconsistent and unpredictable
- PHP does its job
- HTTP has many status codes and many methods to use.
- designing a REST API is not easy
- planning is as important as the implementation itself
The Routes API is completed and you can see my work on github.